Thursday, 9 February 2012

Famous!

Last Friday I had an interview with a reporter from a local newspaper, about how I came to be where I am now. I found it quite interesting to think how making peg-angels with doily wings might have started me on a path to making for a living. I've always liked making stuff - There was the under-the-sea scene with crepe paper jelly fish and a felt dolphin, and the zoo with trees made from kitchen-roll tubes, all housed in cardboard boxes that my dad used to bring home from work for me. I think one of my best childhood memories is of the day when I came home and my mum had bought me a huge pack of multi-coloured crepe-paper - I still remember being overwhelmed with the options for that lovely bright paper. 
I think that sometimes when there's pressure and deadlines and money that needs to be made, it's easy to forget the reasons for doing what I do (I don't want to sound like a spoilt brat, I know precisely how lucky I am, having been out in the world and having dreadful jobs) but this is a nice little reminder! 

2 comments:

  1. yay! super famous. i was the same - i used to love making things (i called it sticking) when i was little... it's funny that what i loved the most when i was small (sticking and reading)are the things i love the most now too.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! You're so lucky to do a job you love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by - I love to hear from you!x