Sunday, 10 October 2010

Flea Market Finds

My Flea Market Find this week is actually from last weekend which we spent at the beach in Wales...

I got a bunch of really kitschy postcards from a charity shop for 10p each! They are destined to be sent out on Postcrossing Journeys, I hope the people that they are sent to will love them as much as I do!


I have been thinking lately about my contribution to the whole Carbon Footprint and so on. In general, I think I am pretty good with my shopping; I try to buy the things I need/want from charity shops, and second hand shops, but I have seen lots of interesting blogs on the subject of thrifty shopping, from Dottie Angel's Challenge of the utmost kind to the more recent post by Tricia over at Little Eco Footprints. Inspired, I have been thinking about the parameters of doing this kind of thing for myself. For example; where do I stand on buying yarn? My fabric is almost always second hand, but my yarn is always new. Being self employed/unemployed right now, I can't afford to buy hand spun gorgeousness, however much I would like to (I see this as the solution to the conundrum), and unless I suddenly fall in love with itchy mohair (ew!) I don't see my local charity shops as the answer either. So, I'm wondering, given that I am a charity shop devotee anyway (which makes it less of an adjustment in the first place), is it a complete cop-out to take up a challenge when I know there would be exceptions that I would have to make in order to not drive myself insane (basically that I would need to buy yarn)? If there's anyone reading this that has taken the plunge, I would love to hear any suggestions!


Pop on over to see Sophie Isobel for more Flea Market Finds!

5 comments:

  1. mhm... it's interesting.
    i read in comments that a lot of people cannot get to vintage wool or yarn in their local thrift shops, while i find all my yarn that way. i may be ridiculously lucky, or else all flemish people massively do away with their yarn...
    it's a luck thing for me too, because i never shop with intention (that helps a lot), but i've found a.o. mohair, and alpaca, and cotton. ofourse, i am happy with bits and pieces, i should add.
    good luck though with the yarn thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently on a 12 month challenge to only buy clothes second-hand. As I've gone on it's expanded my thinking to things beyond clothes - stationery, books, shoes, handbags, kitchen things. But my hard and fast commitment (at this stage) is only clothes... I don't give myself a hard time about buying other things retail. For me, it's about finding a balance between a commitment to live more sustainably and maintaining a certain lifestyle. I'm not prepared to make commitments that would make me feel miserable.

    On the other hand, have you checked online to see if there are other sources for second-hand yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments!
    I think you're right Kaz, there has to be a balance between sustainability and lifestyle. I think I have always been conscious of shopping responsibly; my shopping habits involve mostly second-hand or hand-made anyway, but I think there will always be things that just have to be bought retail.
    I think maybe it is a case of actively looking for the things I need in charity shops before I resort to retail. The worst that could happen is that I spend longer shopping, and who's going to complain about that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I read this the other day, then on my wonder around the op shops today I had a look at the yarns. In every one there was some balls of yarn, some sets, some nice wool ones. I guess it depends on how much you need. They all range between 0.20c and $5 but you would have to not be too picky about what you got! Can you unravel vintage jumpers and stuff or do you need more? I come across some really nice pure wool jumpers op shopping! Its a lot easier over here, I am from Oxford and found most charity shops in UK are rubbish if you let me know what specifics (yarn type, length, thickness, colour etc) you are after I can keep my eye out. Can you dye/spin you own yarn (you may have facalities if studying?) Its pretty easy to get shearings from a local farmer-they sell bags of it in op shops here. Many farmers now keep alapacas too as look after other animals and they have very nice wool-may not be second hand but local and hand processed-very eco chic!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, that is really kind of you! I hadn't thought about un-doing jumpers, that's a nifty idea! I don't have access to spinning facilities, but I have always quite fancied having a go at it. I wonder why it is that UK charity shops are so bad for yarn? I have had the odd bit of good luck, but usually when I find something I like there's not much of it!
    Thanks so much for your suggestions, and for stopping by to say hello!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by - I love to hear from you!x